Saturday 1 July 2017

Happy Dance #1

It's time for me to celebrate. Just for a couple of minutes. Imagine you can see me doing my happy dance to Pharrell's Happy song. No, second thought...not a good image. LOL. A better image is me doing the Snoopy happy dance. Anyway, I think you get the idea that I have something to celebrate! I do!

In a nutshell, my A1C is now, (drumroll), 6.6! Three months ago it was 9. Three months before that it was also 9. So, what changed? A few things.

--I have embraced the fact that I'm diabetic again
--I now see an endocrinologist
--my meds were changed
--I have paid attention to my diet
--I have been walking

For a while, I ran away from my diabetes. I figured if I just ignored it, it would go away. I knew better but I was burning out. When I was ready to get back to dealing with it, life got in the way, which it often does. Diabetes had been silent for me up until 6 months ago so it was easy to ignore. Six months ago, I had all the classic symptoms of diabetes: the thirst that wouldn't quit, peeing up a storm knowing I hadn't taken in much fluid, nausea, generally feeling crappy. It got bad. Really bad. I scared myself when I realized I had the symptoms. So I started testing again. My numbers were high. I didn't tell my family how high my numbers were, I didn't want to worry them. But I also didn't have the capacity to change it. I was lucky my A1C wasn't higher than 9. When I'm testing and seeing 18's on a regular basis, I knew things weren't good. Then, life got out of the way and I could move forward.

I have the most incredible family doc who has supported me through all the ups and downs. When he made the decision with me to pass on my care to the endocrinologist and the cardiologist I knew then we had reached what he could do for me. We both knew I had a pretty important role in my own care and the outcomes. As I've written before, all three docs have been supportive and have gotten me back on track. And I got me back on track because I have a pretty big stake in how things turn out.

What else helped? The meds. I cannot state enough how impressed I am with the change in meds. Elimination of the one I struggled with (Metformin). Beginning Jardiance and Trulicity. I'm always a little nervous with new meds but I was scared enough and brave enough at the same time to take the leap of faith and start the new regiment. Stating for the record, I don't work for big pharma, nor am I connected to big pharma in any way except as a consumer. These two drugs have been amazing for me while I do my part at the same time.

I am concerned about potential side effects down the line. Hopefully I won't be subjected to the more serious ones. To be realistic, there are also some things I don't like about the plan too. I'm not thrilled with having to give myself a shot in the abdomen every Sunday. It is uncomfortable because of the pressure of the auto injection. It also stings for about 15 min after at the site. If I don't pay attention when I'm giving it I could have a bruise for a week or two. In the bigger picture, it's better than daily injections of other meds (not referring to the lifesaving insulin. I'd take that in a heart beat if I needed it.) The only drawback to taking the Jardiance in the morning is my disorganization trying to get out the door for work and my memory. I don't forget it often but I do struggle to take it on time. Now I carry a small quantity with me so when I do remember, I take it.

I see my endo on July 4, a couple days from now. I will walk in, head held high, proud of what I have accomplished. I have a 6.6 A1C! Snoopy, move over, I'm dancing beside you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My New Opportunity!

I'm fairly new to blogging and really enjoy it. What's even better is blogging about something you are passionate about. For me, tha...