Thursday 11 May 2017

Laughing At Myself

Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself. And laugh I did. My endocrinologist put me on a new drug, trulicity, an injectable non-insulin medication. It is a med that you inject into the abdomen once a week. Since I live in a smaller community, I knew it would take a couple days for the pharmacy to order it in. Today is Monday. I wasn't planning to start the injections until Sunday. In the meantime, I wanted to review how to inject the drug and see whatever helpful info I could find. I checked out the internet...um...not my smartest move. Let me elaborate.

I went first to the drug company website. A lot of good info. One thing that caught my attention was the nausea. Their website said 8-30% of people have this symptom. Hmmm. Well that means 70% do not have nausea. I decided I'd be in that 70%. I'm not going to have the nausea.

Then I made a huge mistake googling the med. I read so many stories, all of which talked about the horrible nausea, vomiting, losing weight because the nausea was so bad folks couldn't eat. Oh boy. I should never have googled it.

The week moved forward, the med came in and now it's Sunday. It was on my mind all day. I went for my daily walk and ended up at Shoppers Drug Mart. I made my plan to deal with the nausea on that walk. I bought fast acting Gravol. I bought long acting Gravol. I will give myself the first injection at 10:30 pm and go to bed. I'll sleep through the nausea. I set both kinds of Gravol at the bedside, along with water and a throw up bowl. I checked my work schedule to make sure that if I was too nauseated to go into work, then I could manage the sick time. My husband was aware of the plan. He was a bit worried as I was. Ten thirty rolled around, I gave my first injection. Success. Only a little irritation at the injection site. I went to bed. I read for a bit. Turned out the light. I tried but I couldn't get to sleep which sometimes happens on Sunday nights as I think about my coming work week.

At 2 am I was still awake so I decided to get up and read some more. By 3 am I realized, I'm not nauseous. I'm not going to get nauseous. I am, however, going to be very tired since I get up at 6 am for work.

So why am I laughing at myself? I got sucked into the stories on the internet. I have $16 worth of Gravol that I will never use. And I didn't get any time off work.

For anyone getting ready to start on trulicity, don't set yourself up for problems. Seventy percent of the people who use it, DON'T get nausea. You will be in that 70% too. And for those who are in the 30%, I am sorry. I hope it gets better for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My New Opportunity!

I'm fairly new to blogging and really enjoy it. What's even better is blogging about something you are passionate about. For me, tha...